Group Plan - The Reason You Are Here
Message Details: Watch or listen to this message
Group Discussion Questions
- As a child, what was your image of God?
How has your image of who God is changed and how would you describe who you understand God to be today?
- When you hear someone say something like, “If you believe in the awe and the wonder and the mystery then that is what God is,” what do you think about their understanding of God?
- AW Tozer once observed, “What comes to our minds when we think about God is the most important thing about us.”
Do you agree with this or not?
- Regarding the Holy Spirit and the Trinity, do you find this conversation intriguing or confusing or both?
Have you had the opportunity to invest time and energy into exploring this?
Why do you think that is so?
- When you consider the relationship between the Father the Son and the Holy Spirit, how do you envision those three interacting with one another?
Do you agree with Frederick Bruner’s assessment that there is a “shyness” of the Holy Spirit?
- While we often hear people assert that “God is love,” did you ever stop to consider that if God did not exist in community prior to the creation it would not be possible for him to have been love?
Do you agree that love must exist in relationship?
- Larry Crabb has said, “We have all been created by an Eternal Community of three fully connected Persons. When we're told that we bear God's image, we imme¬diately know we were designed to connect with others….The capacities that distinguish us as human beings from all other creations…were given to us so we could connect with each other the way the three divine persons connect.”
Do you believe this accurately describes how God has created us to exist?
- What can we do as a group and as individuals to embrace this purpose for our lives and better reflect what God created us to be?
- How do we sometimes unwittingly work at cross-purposes with Paul’s instruction in Ephesians 4:3 to “Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit."?
- What are some things we can do to better honor Jesus’ prayer in John 17:20-21: “I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me.”?