Group Plan - Owning Your Origin
Watch or listen to this message
Message Theme: Jesus wasn't considered dangerous for preaching about the exclusivity of the kingdom. Jesus was considered a threat because of how inclusive his message of the kingdom of God was.
Group Discussion Questions
- Tell about a time that you had high expectations for a performance/event (concert, comedian, movie, sporting event, etc.), but walked away sorely disappointed afterward.
- What are the things you appreciate most about your job/career?
What are the frustrations/hazards of your job?
? Is your job dangerous in any way (spiritually, physically, emotionally, or relationally)?
- Have you ever had to take a stand for accepting someone even though it seemed everyone else wanted to reject them?
- Read Luke 4:14-30.
What do you notice about this section?
Why are the responses of the crowd so positive and negative in the story?
- How do you notice the world dividing itself in categories of us/them?
How does that play itself out in the church?
- What resources does our Christian faith have that help us move against the forces that desire us to divide up into us/them?
- Read Genesis 12:1-3.
How are the people of God called to live differently than other tribes?
How does being a part of a church help you combat the natural impulse we have to divide in these ways?
How does it hurt?
- Luke 4:18-19 is a key verse in the Gospel of Luke.
How do you see Jesus live into the mission he declares here in these verses?
How does your life embody these concerns?
- Why do the people from Nazareth want to throw Jesus off a cliff?
When we are challenged in similar ways, how do we respond?
- What are you convicted to do as a result of this story?
How can we be advocates for including those who are so often seen as outsiders?