Tech@Home Conversation #3
Message Theme: We're so afraid to miss out on what's on our screens that we're missing out on what's going on right in front of us.
Small Group Discussion Questions
- Can you recall a time when you badly wanted to experience something that you felt would be wonderful but were not able to do so?
- What are some of the ways greater access to information has made our lives better? How do you benefit from the ability to very easily have information and awareness available to you?
- What are some to the ways this constant access to information and awareness created real problems for us?
- How compelled do you feel to stay continually aware of information you get from your online devices? Has this series changed your habits or awareness about your behavior surrounding technology? If so, how?
- How has your smartphone changed the way you engage with others? While you wait in line? At the airport? At family holidays? On vacation?
- Collin talked quite a bit about FOMO (Fear of Missing Out). Was this a new concept to you? How do you see this dynamic impacting your technology use?
- Read Genesis 3:1-7. How does the serpent capitalize on Adam and Eve's FOMO?
- How have you seen fear and anxiety becoming more of a problem personally/culturally in our lives? Does your technology make you less or more fearful/anxious?
- Can you remember a time when you had so much information to process in order to determine how to proceed that it was extremely difficult? How does more technology and greater access to information sometimes make it more difficult to make wise decisions about your choices in life? What would the pursuit of wisdom as Job addresses it in Job 28 change about your habits regarding technology?
- What action do you plan to take this week that will help you avoid or lead you to work against FOMO?